Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Belt-Fed Discussion Forums > Other Belt-Fed Machine Guns

Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
KABAR2

Default Ryland Fleet and ACME GADGET DIVISION (part I )

Part I

My wife and I had a nice ride up to Ryland’s from Chesapeake; he’s only about an hour & a half from us. After getting off the interstate, it was back country roads. The directions given said the drive way was across from his mail box, two metal posts with a swing arm gate like you would see in Check Point Charlie, down a dirt road; some with a lesser constitution might have turned back at the first sign “Rifle range impact zone DANGER” some might have thought twice at the sign “Drug detecting guard dogs patrolling property” but I have a warped sense of humor also and enjoyed the signs. As you go through the woods you come to the crest of a hill and as the road dips you have your first sighting of the three domes of ACME! They are more impressive in person than in the photos!

The first thing you notice is a landing and there does not seem to be a conventional door, I approached the landing and spied a round window, stenciled by some buttons was “Air Lock Caution Humans Onboard”. I tapped on what appeared to be part of the wall and there was the sound of movement and pneumatics. The wall moved inward and glided on its tracks to the left into the main hall, there greeting me was Ryland Fleet, the Wizard of ACME!

We were given the tour, and discovered that his house/research facility was featured on Extreme Homes, it is quite a place. The one dome is three stories and is the living quarters: living room, kitchen, dinette complete with a Lavalier - 5 lava lamps in Chandelier form & bathroom.

No home should be without one of these…….. .25cents and a hand full of .22’s!

If you expect conventional, you have come to the wrong house. A trapdoor opens with the sound of pneumatics and out of the floor rises a railing; down the steps to a space that could be a little disconcerting because the floor is rounded, (you are actually standing on the walls) is a basement where some of the physical systems are like the air compressor, a raised set of front loading washer & dryer (so you don’t have to bend over to do the laundry. Above the living room is a loft bedroom. Back down the 40ft hall which is diamond shaped (no flat walls here!) This is where the Wizard is in his element a machine shop most of us would kill for although most of us would not use half of the equipment.

Sorry for the blurry photo, still learning my new camera…….
This is Ryland’s remote ring-mount,
Instead of using modern microchips he has build a unit that uses relays, when an EM Pulse knocks out all other electronics this will still be working!

In this space is a lathe, a milling machine, a tig welder, band saw, drill press, arbor press, sheet metal break and roller to name a few. The tooling at his disposal is like that of a large machine shop! Drill bits? Yep! #, letter & fractional what do you need? Hole saws, flyway cutters, end mills, reamers…. If you can think of it, it is probably there.
Before we got started, Ryland showed us his remote ring mount, this is all Mil Spec. and as always well thought out design & engineering. While large corporations employ a flock of engineers, draftsmen & machinists with millions of R&D money, Ryland accomplishes the same in his research facility! There have been some, who not understanding what goes into this, made snide remarks about it. Rather than use electronics and have a small package, Ryland chose to go with relays, while they are bulkier, there is a method to his madness; modern electronics, while compact have a fatal flaw if an E.M. pulse weapon is used in the area the electronics are dead while the relays still function.

How this visit came about was during our meeting at Ryland’s weapons demo last summer he generously invited us up to his shop to finish building my 1919A6! Life had its up and downs during this period and I had to concentrate on little things like paying bills, the mortgage etc. so the 1919 was not foremost in the plans. I had a 4-day weekend coming so I gave Ryland a call to see if we could arrange getting together. Monday was to be the day.

Ryland has a fixture that makes building the receiver box fool proof. He has designed a two-piece bucking bar that allows the drilling of the side plate, one side is a series of notches to allow drilling, and the other side is solid for the riveting process.

Photo’s of mandrel and
Modified back plate which keep receiver box
Square.

The fixture for alignment of all the receiver parts consists of a mandrel machined to fit through the trunion, and a back plate that is cut down and missing the buffer tube, when all the parts are assembled around this and the bucking bar is installed everything remains square, it is clamped in the normal fashion and the side plate is ready to be drilled.

Now most may use a drill press to drill the side plate but the milling machine is a better tool for the job. With the receiver box mounted in the vice, the bed is moved to align the holes to be drilled, once all holes are drilled then the receiver box is dismantled and the back of the plate is drilled for the rivet heads.

After all this is done the receiver is reassembled and all holes lined up with pins to be sure everything is squared up.

Part II will deal with riveting
Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Moderator / Angry Monkey

Send a message via AIM to GUNRUNNER5150

wow that place looks nuts, if im ever on the east coast ill have to drop by man cuz that looks awesome.

and when i caught a glimpse of the candy/bullet machine before any thought process had even taken place the words "OMFG I GOTTA HAVE ONE OF THoSE FOR THE gUN ROOM!" came flying out of my mouth

GR
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 PM
poverty ridge

Default Roflmao

When I saw the candy/22 dispenser I was thinking "this guy is out there "!!!!!!

No wonder he is master of inventer of -------------------. [ fill in the blanks]

Outstanding I think I may be looking for one myself

Very neat place !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 AM
weaponizer

Is something how, with all of that awesome , we all like/have to get that ammo dispenser...
Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 PM
rugman59

Yeah,that is the coolest ammo machine I've seen!
The"mad scientist" strikes again!Glad he's on our side.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Moderator / Angry Monkey

Send a message via AIM to GUNRUNNER5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponizer View Post
Is something how, with all of that awesome , we all like/have to get that ammo dispenser...
Yeah lol, problem is i wouldnt know how to work those mills even if i had em, but the ammo dispenser is idiot proof - put in a quarter and turn the knob hope ryland dont mind us stealin his idea, but that thing is just too cool.

GR

Tags
acme, division, fleet, gadget, part, ryland